Saturday 5 May 2007

Auckland and me

Well, Auckland, I'm sorry to say this but I'm not sure I like you all that much. Granted, your art galleries are good, you have more hostels than you can shake a stick at and mostly the sun shines.

But you are neither metropolitan nor bohemian, neither glamorous nor scuzzy, and your pedestrian lights are a law unto themselves. I haven't found any 'pockets' of anything that have charmed me and to top it off, there's a bloody bungee jumpy cagey thing outside my dorm window (mild dislike for lengths of elastic with people attachments is turning to hatred...oh shit, I'm in the wrong country aren't I?!).

Solution: get out.

I have a bus ticket that takes me way up north tomorrow morning, right up to the resting place of Maori spirits at the tip of the Ninety Mile Beach that is only 64 miles long. This same very useful ticket then takes me everywhere else I could possibly want to go over both the North and South Islands, whenever I like and for however long. Result!

Last port of call in this city is the K Road...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm...sounds like you're heading out of town sharpish! The countryside should be amazing though - or at least that is what Cayal harps on about! How is the weather? Not sure from your photos to date!

Got the keys! Started cleaning on Saturday. Kitchen was flithy. Went to homebase (not the best experience) yesterday and bought plants and pots for the terrace. Cleaned the living room walls ready for painting which starts today!! Going to Muji as well to get the bedroom furniture. It's starting to look a little better and feels a bit more like home. Starting to fill up with our stuff too - we've already got too much!

You will love the terrace. It over looks the canal and it is a sun trap! Will get lots of pots and stuff so you'll need to come over and give me a hand with those green fingers of yours! I'll save you some planting and space! Think we're going to buy some toms and chilli plants and maybe some berries too.

Anyway, I'm hijacking your blog and this should really be in an email but I wanted to see what happens when I post something!

Missing you lots xxx